Surge arresters for railway applications
Siemens has been designing and manufacturing medium- and high-voltage surge arresters for standard and special applications since 1925. We have produced surge arresters for railway systems for over 80 years. Continuous research and development, extensive know-how and global experience give Siemens surge arresters a leading position in the overvoltage protection market. Their uncompromising quality ensures a long service life and reliability in every application.
Overview of surge arresters for railway applications
Our portfolio consists of AC and DC surge arresters for a variety of different applications.
Our surge arresters for railway applications protect every part of a rail system, from traction substations, transmission lines, cables and catenary systems to rail vehicles for local, long distance and high-speed services up to 420 km/h. We offer several surge arresters for AC and DC railway applications up to 45 kV.
- 3EB4 - Silicone rubber surge arresters with composite hollow core design for use on traction vehicles and for fixed installation in AC and DC systems.
- 3EB5 – Silicone rubber surge arresters with Cage Design® for use on traction vehicles and for fixed installation in AC and DC systems.
- 3EB2 and 3EB3 – Surge arresters with silicone rubber housing for use on traction vehicles and for fixed installation in DC systems; A1 and A2 application. The 3EB2 is DC-B classified, the 3EB3 is DC-C classified.
- 3EB4 silicone surge arrester in composite housing
- 3EB5 silicone surge arrester with Cage Design®
- Rail electrification DC types 3EB2 and 3EB3
3EB4 silicone surge arrester in composite housing
3EB5 silicone surge arrester with Cage Design®
Rail electrification DC types 3EB2 and 3EB3
The 3EB2 and 3EB3 silicone-housed surge arresters were developed specifically for overvoltage protection in DC systems in accordance with the VDV A1-A2 application.
Downloads, support and services
Our services for you
You can find details on our surge arresters for railway applications and information about our services here.
Get in contact with our Customer Service
Do you have any questions about our surge arresters for railway applications? Contact us. We are pleased to offer you individual advice.