Please use another Browser
It looks like you are using a browser that is not fully supported. Please note that there might be constraints on site display and usability. For the best experience we suggest that you download the newest version of a supported browser:Continue with the current browser
The Telegraphen-Bauanstalt von Siemens & Halske was initially a general partnership. The company was transformed into a limited partnership in 1890 and into a stock corporation in 1897. In 1966, Siemens & Halske AG was integrated into the newly established Siemens AG.
Tonio Bödiker was appointed to chair the Directorate (from 1901: the Managing Board) of the newly founded Siemens & Halske AG in July 1897. A university-trained expert in administration, Bödiker could already look back on a long career as a Prussian civil servant, having served as President of the Reichsversicherungsamt, the German government’s top social insurance authority, from 1884 to 1897.
As head of Siemens & Halske’s Central Department, Bödiker was responsible for all overarching legal and financial questions as well as for matters relating to the company’s expansion and organizational processes. The administrative reforms he initiated were controversial within the company. In addition, he was criticized for his wide-ranging power. At the beginning of 1903, the Central Department was dissolved and replaced by a Finance Department. Tonio Bödiker moved from the Managing Board to the company’s Supervisory Board.
At the initiative of Wilhelm von Siemens, the 50-year-old university instructor in physics was hired by Siemens & Halske in 1892. He first headed the laboratory at the company’s facility in the Charlottenburg district of Berlin. Only a year later, he was granted a registered power of attorney and appointed co-director of the facility, of which he became sole director in 1895. From 1897 to 1911, Budde was a member of the Managing Board of Siemens & Halske. In 1903, he was appointed to the Supervisory Board of the newly founded Siemens-Schuckertwerke.
Emil Budde resigned his position at Siemens & Halske in 1911. However, as a member of the Supervisory Board of Siemens-Schuckertwerke, he remained associated with the company until his death in August 1921.
The engineer and physicist Alfred Berliner joined Siemens & Halske in 1888 at the recommendation of Hermann von Helmholtz. Assigned to develop the company’s business in the U.S., he began by opening an office to prepare an exhibit for the Chicago World’s Fair. After the establishment of the Siemens & Halske Electric Company of America, he was responsible for the construction of production facilities in Chicago. Berliner returned to Germany in 1893.
In 1897, he was appointed a deputy member and, in 1908, a full member of the Managing Board of Siemens & Halske. In this capacity, Berliner played a key role in the merger of the power engineering activities of Siemens & Halske AG with those of Elektrizitäts-Aktiengesellschaft, vorm. Schuckert & Co. to form Siemens-Schuckertwerke GmbH. From 1903 to 1912, he was Chairman of the Managing Board of the new company. Alfred Berliner was a member of the Supervisory Board of Siemens & Halske from 1913 to 1938.