Please use another Browser

It looks like you are using a browser that is not fully supported. Please note that there might be constraints on site display and usability. For the best experience we suggest that you download the newest version of a supported browser:

Internet Explorer, Chrome Browser, Firefox Browser, Safari Browser

Continue with the current browser

Milestones of business development

1860–1950

1865

Pointer telegraphs from Siemens & Halske (S&H) in use at military administration office in Thun

 

1882

S&H supplies 150 signal bells for signaling system on the newly built Gotthard railway link between Rotkreuz and Lugano

 

1888

Siemens supplies overhead lines for Switzerland’s first electric streetcar system

 

1894

S&H builds hydropower plant in Wynau (Bern Canton). Establishment of construction office

 

1900

Schuckert & Co. opens Technical Bureau on Löwenstrasse in Zurich. Office renamed Zurich Branch Office of Siemens-Schuckertwerke GmbH in 1903. Additional offices opened in Lausanne in 1913 and in Bern in 1920

 

1907

Siemens and Maschinenfabrik Oerlikon (MFO) jointly establish rail operator Elektrische Bahn Zürich

 

1912

Siemens supplies Switzerland’s first fully automatic enterprise telephone exchange for life insurance company Basler Lebensversicherungsgesellschaft

 

1922

Establishment in Zurich of Siemens Elektrizitätserzeugnisse AG (SEAG), an electrical products company

 

1922

Siemens acquires telephone producer Protos-Telephonwerke AG. Located in Albisrieden, a suburb of Zurich, this is Siemens’ first production facility in Switzerland

 

1924

Protos-Telephonwerke AG renamed Telephonwerke Albisrieden AG

 

1932

Siemens begins producing radio equipment in Zurich

 

1935

Telephonwerke Albisrieden renamed Albiswerk Zürich AG

 

1942

Siemens begins with the development and production of tubes in the newly-built laboratory for vacuum technology in Zurich

1954

Siemens Switzerland introduces low-maintenance and low-noise uniselector motor switch technology for telephone exchanges

 

1956

Elektrowatt AG acquires stake in Albiswerk Zürich AG

 

1969

SEAG renamed: all Siemens’ sales activities in Switzerland combined with the sales organization of Albiswerk Zürich AG to form Siemens AG Zürich

 

1971

Siemens AG Zürich and Albiswerk Zürich AG merged to form Siemens-Albis AG, headquartered in Albisrieden

 

1973

Europe’s first Cardoskop X-ray system begins operation at Hôpital Cantonal in Lausanne

 

1981

Siemens supplies process control system for Switzerland’s Aarberg sugar factory

 

1992

Siemens acquires majority stake in Integra Signum AG and renames company Siemens Integra Verkehrstechnik AG (SIAG)

 

1996

Siemens-Albis renamed Siemens Schweiz AG

 

1998

Siemens acquires industry arm of Elektrowatt. Activities in the areas of building automation, building security and fire protection combined to form Siemens’ Building Technologies Group, headquartered in Switzerland

 

2005

Modernized hospital Spital Pourtalés reopened in Neuchâtel. Siemens supplies systems in the areas of building automation and security, medical engineering and telecommunications

 

2006

Siemens wins order to supply 60 trains for Zurich’s suburban rail system

 

2007

Siemens delivers gas-insulated switchgear for Robiei hydropower plant in Ticino Canton

 

2009

Siemens finances new professorship for Sustainable Building Technologies at ETH Zürich

 

2011

Mobility Carsharing, m-ways, Schweizerische Bundesbahn (SBB) and Siemens Switzerland join forces to provide electric cars for car-sharing operations at SBB train stations

 

2013

SBB and Siemens Switzerland sign cooperation agreement to automate and centralize rail traffic controls