Please use another Browser

It looks like you are using a browser that is not fully supported. Please note that there might be constraints on site display and usability. For the best experience we suggest that you download the newest version of a supported browser:

Internet Explorer, Chrome Browser, Firefox Browser, Safari Browser

Continue with the current browser

Milestones of business development

1860–1950

1860
Siemens, Halske & Co., London, supplies telegraph equipment for the line from Capetown to Simonstown

 

1873
John Abraham & Co., Capetown, becomes the agent of Siemens Brothers in South Africa

 

1880
G.A. Boettger, Capetown becomes the sole agent for Siemens Brothers

 

1888
A Siemens & Halske (S&H) telephone is installed for the president of the South African Republic, Paul Krüger, in Pretoria

 

1892
S&H receives an order for the first public power station in Capetown

 

1895
Siemens & Halske South African Agency Johannesburg is founded

 

1895
A major order is received from Rand Central Electric Works Ltd., Johannesburg, for a power plant to supply the gold mines

 

1898
The company is renamed Siemens Ltd. Johannesburg

 

1910
The company moves into its own office building in Johannesburg

 

1920
Siemens-Schuckertwerke (SSW) appoints C. Kleudgen, Johannesburg as its agent

 

1923
Siemens (S.A.) Ltd., Johannesburg, is founded with numerous sub-agencies

 

1931
A Berlin Committee of Siemens (S.A.) Ltd. is set up

1952
A new company, Protos Engineering (Pty.) Ltd., Johannesburg, is founded; two years later the old name Siemens S.A. (Pty.) Ltd. is reintroduced

 

1957
Siemens and the Ministry of Posts and Telegraphy sign a ten-year-delivery contract

 

1961
A telecommunication factory is established in Koedoespoort, Pretoria

 

1965
The company moves into the new Siemens building in Johannesburg

 

1973
Capetown is supplied with the first computer-controlled traffic system

 

1982
An order is received to equip Kendal, the largest coal-fired power plant in the world

 

1993
An order for large rectifier stations is received from the aluminum factory ALUSAF

 

1999
The first Government telemedicine contract is awarded to Siemens

 

2000
Siemens receives a large order for the installation of a railway interlocking signalling system on the Kimberley-De Aar line

2001
Siemens is awarded a turnkey contract for the Cell C mobile network infrastructure

 

2002
Siemens signs an IT outsourcing contract with the Department of Labou

 

2003
An order is received for first bi-plane flat panel cardiac catheterisation laboratories in Africa for the Red Cross Childrens Hospital

 

2004
The company is awarded a contract by ESKOM to modernize the instrumentation and control system for the Majuba power plant in Amersfoort. Cooperation with the plant operator is maintained via remote services

 

2006
Siemens heads the Impilo consortium, which the Ministry of Health of KwaZulu Province commissioned to equip, administer and operate the Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital in Durban

 

2007
Siemens is awarded a contract for the building of the first new power plants in democratic South Africa for ESKOM: Ankerlig in Cape Town and Gourikwa in Mossel Bay

 

2009
Siemens wins orders for about €1 billion in the run-up to the 2010 Soccer World Cup in South Africa

 

2012
Siemens receives its first wind farm commission in the Eastern Cape, the 138-MW onshore wind project Jeffreys Bay Wind Farm, which includes the erection of 60 wind turbines and their maintenance for a period of ten years

 

2013
Siemens is awarded an onshore wind power order for the Sere wind power plant on the west coast of South Africa, a flagship project for the customer ESKOM

 

2014
Inauguration of the Mandela School of Science & Technology in Mvezo, Eastern Cape, which Siemens has built together with the Mvezo Development Trust and Department of Education

Highlights from 170 years of Siemens history

Learn about selected events from the company’s history in our History News, which we’re continually expanding for you.