Please use another Browser

It looks like you are using a browser that is not fully supported. Please note that there might be constraints on site display and usability. For the best experience we suggest that you download the newest version of a supported browser:

Internet Explorer, Chrome Browser, Firefox Browser, Safari Browser

Continue with the current browser

Milestones of business development

1850–1950

1859               

Siemens & Halske (S&H) opens a branch office in Vienna (which remains in operation until 1864)

 

1879

S&H Berlin sets up a Technical Bureau in Vienna

 

1890s             

Siemens builds power stations and electric tramways in numerous cities

 

1904

Österreichische Siemens-Schuckertwerke AG (ÖSSW) is founded. S&H’s facility in Vienna assumes responsibility for the low-voltage power business

 

1939

The cable plant in Vienna is transformed into a stock company called Wiener Kabel- und Metallwerke AG (WKM)

 

1939

 A technical office is opened in Vienna under the name S&H AG, Vienna branch office

 

1946

ÖSSW and S&H’s Vienna facility are nationalized, forming Siemens-Schuckertwerke Ges. m. b. H. and Siemens  Halske Ges. m. b. H., respectively

1958

Emcolux takes over 60 percent of WKM’s capital stock. The remaining 40 percent is held by the Austrian SSW company and S&H-Ges. m. b. H

 

1967

WKM founds Siemens Ges. m. b. H.

 

1970

An electronic components production plant is opened in Villach, Carinthia

 

1971

WKM, Siemens Ges. m. b. H Wien and NTW (Nachrichtentechnische Werke) merge to form Siemens AG Austria

 

1992

Siemens installs the world’s first fully digitized, networked radiological imaging system at Vienna’s Donauspital hospital

 

 

1994

The company gradually assumes responsibility for the CEE (Central and Eastern European) business region

2000

The contract to deliver 400 locomotives by 2006 to the Austrian national railway (ÖBB) is Siemens’ biggest locomotive order in its history

 

2004

Siemens Austria wins Germany’s PR Prize 2004 for its "Academy of Life" event series

 

2005

Siemens merges with the Austrian company VA Technologie AG (VA Tech) and consolidates its leading position in the world markets of metallurgy, power transmission and –distribution

 

2006

The e-card system developed by Siemens creates a country-wide network for Austria’s healthcare system

 

2006

Siemens is technology partner for Austria’s EU Council Presidency 2006

 

2009

Two combined cycle power plants, Timelkam in Upper Austria and Simmering 1 in Vienna, are put into service

 

2010

Opening of the new Siemens City headquarters in the company’s historic location in Vienna Floridsdorf; it was the first office building in Austria to receive the LEED Gold environmental certificate

 

2011

Expansion of the world headquarters for rail-bound mass transit vehicles in Vienna to include tramways. Thus the global business responsibility for subways, tramways, railroad cars and electric buses is concentrated in the Vienna-Simmering facility (including R&D, engineering and manufacturing)

 

2012

Acting as general contractor, Siemens hands over Austria’s most powerful and most efficient thermal power plant, the combined-cycle plant in Mellach, to the customer

 

2013

ÖBB commissions Siemens to supply 100 Desiro ML type regional passenger trains

 

2013

Siemens is collaborating on a research project for future technologies in cities that is the only one of its kind in Europe, the Living lab at Aspern Vienna’s Urban Lakeside

 

2014

Siemens has been active in Austria since 135 years

 

2015

The global competence for Industrial Power Plant Solutions (gas-fired combined cycle power plants with a capacity between 20 and 60 Megawatts on a turnkey basis) is bundled in Vienna